Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Perseus and Medusa

The story of Perseus begins with the oracle Delphi telling Acrisius, the king of Argos, that his own grandson would one day kill him. That grandson would be the offspring of his daughter Danae. Like any logical person afraid of his or her own death, Acrisius imprisoned his daughter in a room beneath the earth to prevent any intercourse/mating/childbearing acts.
But this didn't stop Zeus. Obviously. It's Zeus. He came to Danae in the form of golden rain. I actually had to stop to laugh for a good 2 minutes straight when I read that. Nothing, not even a prison under the earth, is going to stop Zeus from mating with whomever he pleases. This interaction caused Danae to fall pregnant with Perseus. When Acrisius learned of this, he did not believe Zeus was the father, and he let his daughter and grandson out on the open sea on an ark. They ended up at Serifos Island where they were adopted by a man on the island. That man happened to be the brother of Polydectes, the king of the island.
Polydectes wanted to wife Danae, but he knew with Perseus there he wouldn't be able to make that happen. So he decided to send Perseus on a crazy mission where he asked for the head of the gorgon Medusa.
Now we come to Medusa. Medusa was one of three sisters, all gorgons. She was the only mortal one. Legend has it that all three used to be beautiful maidens. Medusa was so beautiful that Poseidon fell in love with her. She did not reciprocate, so Poseidon cursed her and her sisters to be gorgons: monsters who turned anyone who dared look them in the eye into stone. They also had snakes for hair. Just as an added touch.
So Perseus had a difficult task. Athena and Hermes provided assistance, supplying Perseus with winged sandals, a cap that made him invisible, a sword, and a mirrored shield. If you've seen Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief, this should sound familiar. Seeing the reflection of Medusa did not turn one into stone. Perseus successfully beheaded Medusa, and from her drops of blood rose Pegasus, the winged horse, and and Chrysaor, a giant or winged boar. And yeah, that was kind of it. Perseus did it. Yaaaaay.

My hair has an interesting history. I was born with dark brown hair. My mom says the first and only thing she was able to see of me when I was born before they took me away (I was premature) was my dark hair. All three of my sisters had relatively light hair compared to me. As everyone may well know, I am no stranger to hair dye. I began dyeing my hair in the fourth grade (I'm not kidding.) I started off with wash-out blonde hair dye that turned my hair a coppery color. I didn't redye it for a good year or so, so I had horrendous roots. My mom finally redyed my hair right before picture day in the fifth grade. It was dark brown, but in the picture it looks hilighted light brown. I remember I got a really bad perm in sixth grade so my hair was really frizzy. I didn't dye my hair again until the summer before freshman year though, when I dyed it red. Though it really turned out more auburny. I kept the reddish hair all year until my birthday when I wanted to go back to my natural color. I used some foam dye that dyed it really dark brown but it washed out immediately. So I had the reddish brown color until October of my sophomore year when I accidentally dyed it black. The box said it would be light brown, my hair turned black. I kept that hair until I bleached my tips, and every so often I would make my tips green. That wasn't the best hair color I've had. I chopped off my tips at the very end of sophomore year and redyed it deep red, and it stayed that way until the beginning of junior year when I dyed it dark brown. (Do you see a pattern here?) It stayed a good dark brown color until last summer when I decided I wanted to go back to red. This decision was entirely swayed by the book series I was reading at the time. The heroine was redheaded, I wanted to be redheaded. At some point in the beginning of senior year I decided I wanted to try to dye my hair blonde. That's what resulted in my "pumpkin spice," or my really orange hair. I kept that until the Catching Fire movie came out and I impulsively dyed my hair dark brown. It stayed that way for like a month or so until I went back to my "pumpkin spice" hair. I was then swayed to dye my hair red again, and I used my tried and true hair dye. It dyed my hair, no joke, Ariel from the Little Mermaid red. It did not look like real hair. I tried in vain to dilute it by taking like 20 showers in a row but nothing lessened the intense red. So I dyed my hair about 4 times afterwards to get to a normal brownish color. That was a crazy weekend. But yeah, a few weeks ago I decided I wanted to bleach my tips so I did. And that's the color history of my hair so far. It will probably change at least two times more before we graduate. I don't ever put thought into my hair. If I want to change the color, I pretty much immediately do it. Oh well. SORRY FOR THE LENGTHY POST ABOUT MY HAIR BUT I'VE DONE A LOT TO MY HAIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment